Saturday, July 30, 2011

Going out of your way goes A LONG way.

Too often we take the easy route. We choose to stay in instead of making it out to a friend's party, we have to do laundry which means we can't go to the networking event, it's too far so we don't go because we don't want to make the drive, there's so many people going to the graduation party so it doesn't really matter if we show up or not... In other words, we don't go out of our way because it's easier not to.

Making acquaintances is easy. But creating and building relationships and true friendships is not... it takes work. It takes energy, time and a genuine interest in getting to know someone and in letting them get to know you. So many times I've made excuses not to go to certain events or call a certain person back just because it means I'd have to go out of my way. But I have done so at a high cost.

Have you ever went to someone's birthday party and the following day they let you know how much it meant to them that you went? Or when you went to support a friend's fundraiser and a year later in conversation they told you that they'll never forget that you came. Or when you stayed an extra 30 minutes on the phone to let your friend vent to you... and then they let you know that because they were able to talk to you, their whole day turned around.

Going out of your way goes a long way.

Once I started going out of my way, so many great things have happened to me. I have gained an infinite amount of genuine relationships with wonderful people. I continue to learn more about myself and life. I have supporters in whatever I do. I also have "contrarians" that always challenge my opinions. And I always have someone to call.

I have become, and continue to become, more than just an acquaintance with so many different kinds of people, which in turn, gives me a more diverse perspective on life. Some people think that having only a handful of good friends is better than having lots and lots of friends... I 100% disagree. The more people you get to know on a personal level, the more you learn about diversity, life, and about yourself. I am the person I am today because of the tons of amazing individuals I have gotten to know on a personal level.. Before I became friends with lots of different people, I was pretty sheltered in the way I thought about things. 

The more people I get to know, the more I learn and grow, and I know that they learn and grow from knowing me.

Go out of your way to build friendships and relationships. It'll go a long way, trust me.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Kristin. :)

    Somewhat related: http://egeersoz.typepad.com/drive/2011/04/you-are-the-average-of-people-you-surround-yourself-with.html

    Last three paragraphs in particular...

    ReplyDelete